Information for Parents of Seniors
Senior year is a very exciting time. There is a lot to do and a lot going on. The North Ridgeville High School guidance counselors want to give you an idea of what will happen and when.
What Can Students Do Now?
- Explore career options and colleges who offer your student’s possible majors. We suggest using the ocis.org website (username: nrhs and the password: ohiocis03) or the CollegeBoard BigFuture website (bigfuture.collegeboard.org).
- Visit colleges! See different types of campuses to see where they will be comfortable.
Create their Parchment.com account so they are ready to send their transcripts once they start applying to colleges.
- If they need to re-take any End of Course exams to earn the 18 points needed for graduation, they will take those tests in early January and intervention will start in October. (Parents will be contacted about this soon.)
- Practice to raise their test scores (graduation tests or ACT/SAT) by using the free online Khan Academy program or other test prep options.
- Look at the NRHS Guidance Webpage for information about scholarships and other opportunities. Sign up for the NRHS Guidance Remind App for updates and announcements. Text @nrhsgu to 81010
- Get a job or volunteer. Colleges like to see that students are productive during their time off. Being involved in clubs or sports is also a positive way to spend time.
Timeline for College Process
In September, each senior will have a mandatory “senior interview” scheduled with his or her counselor. During this meeting, the counselors speak with each senior to ensure that we understand his/her future plans and that the students know their next steps.
- College applications should be completed by the end of October. Seniors are responsible for checking application due dates. Colleges will need official ACT/SAT scores sent by the student directly from the testing agency. Students must also request their official transcript be sent to colleges through Parchment.com--this is a free online records system.
- Students and parents are encouraged to attend our Financial Aid Night held in October. The FAFSA can be completed online as early as October.
- Students will receive acceptance information and financial aid offers by the spring. (Admission information can be earlier depending on when they apply.)